Monday, May 23, 2016

Feeling Better... Or Maybe I'm Just Not Done Venting!

I'm feeling a little lighter, I'm wondering if pouring out my heart in my last post somehow helped... maybe. maybe not. But on the slight chance that it is the reason I am not as down as I was... maybe this blogger wanna be is making a comeback!

I really just wanna talk about fostering and adoption. The truth is that it's on my mind ALL THE TIME. I wish so much it was on Chris' mind. It weighs so heavy on me. Its ridiculous to me that our world is so consumed about transgender, homosexuality and reality TV when there are so many more pressing things to worry about. I'm not saying that those things don't matter but there really are more important things than that, at least to me. I am in no way condemning/judging people so please don't take it that way.  Homelessness is huge and it's sad but an even more sad reality is that there are so many kids who are parent-less. Orphans. 

When I heard the word orphan, my brain use to go to the kids in other countries, probably because of TV ads. As a kid, one of my favorite movies was Little Orphan Annie, but I don't really think I connected the dots to the reality of it all. I also don't think I connected orphans to kids whose parent's rights had been terminated. I think in my head, I connected the term orphan to kids whose parents had died. It wasn't until a couple years ago that it occurred to me that there are literally thousands of orphan kids in the US. People, that is heart wrenching. Its so overwhelming to me. How on earth is that possible and it not be national headlines. Like for real. 

The Bible calls us as Christians to care for the widows and the orphans. I am incredibly thankful for the missionaries and the ministries that care for kids overseas. It's beautiful that we care so much for those kids and those ministries. My family sponsors a beautiful little girl in Haiti. And that's great. But what about the kids here in the US What about the kids right here in Texas or better yet, right here in the Permian Basin? Is it just that we don't know. That we are so flooded with pointless and just plain junk that the real life crisis of local orphan children isn't important? 

I became a CASA (court appointed special advocate) to feel like I am making a difference. And I am. But is it enough? Is it really all that God is asking of me?  I am 100% sure that being involved with fostered/orphaned children is part of my call from God. I'm just not sure what exactly the extent of it is, mostly because Chris doesn't feel it. Somehow we have to get on the same page. 

Here's the real deal for me. There are kids right here in my town, my county that are in need of not just a safe place to land but mommies and daddies to love them and protect them. Protect them from some really bad and scary situations. Fostering, and fostering to adopt are absolutely the most needed in our county but I understand that not everyone feels the call/ache to do that. But there are so many other ways to get involved. Volunteer. CASA is in real need of volunteers. I love being a casa. These kids need a voice and to be heard. High Sky Childrens Ranch is a great place to volunteer and interact with kids. If interacting isn't for you but you want to help, Together We Rise does something that is just amazing. This is something I want to do, just haven't taken the time. But... if adoption calls to you in any way shape or form, get educated, learn the facts. Understand what it actually means. Don't listen to the stereotypical stories. Really get educated. These kids are not scary or messed up, they're just mostly unloved, unwanted and misunderstood. Truth is there are probably more happy endings than sad ones, its just the sad and scary ones that get told. Some places I would encourage you to check out would be High Sky AdoptionsPermian Basin Heart Gallery and Addy's Hope. (I am in no way affiliated with these groups, just ones I have had some experience with or know of) I'll leave you with this. 

In a nutshell, my heart is fully in doing something for these kids. Becoming a CASA was huge for me but I see it only as a stepping stone. Praying daily that God speaks to me about my family's next step.



No comments:

Post a Comment